Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Halfway there...

Well I've never actually counted the days before today, but I was sitting in class with a friend and she wanted to know where I was in my exchange. So I counted and as of today, if I leave when I intend to, then I am exactly halfway done with my exchange. It was freaky to notice this, but at the same time extremely sad because I came to the relization today that I am going to back to the U.S. in what seems like no time at all. I look forward to all of these things that are about to happen, but every with event that is going to occur in the next 5 months, is just leading me closer to my departure. I do love the U.S., don't get me wrong, but still apart of me will be German forever now. I've lived the life of a German for the past 5 1/2 months and I've grown more than I ever have in my entire lifetime. I have a much different outlook on life. I hardly knew anything about the world 6 months ago and now that I've finally gotten to live life abroad, and everything is just so much different. It's one of those things that are impossible to explain even to other people that have had the same opportunities as me. Every experience is different, and I'm glad that I've been put where I am. Through all the struggles that I've endured, they have only made me stronger in the end.

This half will be much different from the first half for sure. I now know Berlin very well, unlike at first where I got lost the first time I ventured out on my own. I can also finally communicate in only German when I really want to, but I'm still trying to make it better every day and I've finally got the techniques down to learn German faster and better. I realize that my German my not be perfect when I leave, but I tell myself everyday that even if I left now, I would still be satisified with how my German worked out! So I'm really looking forward to this last half, and definitely for the new adventures that are to come!

2 comments:

  1. Live every day of the 2nd half to the fullest and take full advantage of this wonderful opportunity. You have a bunch of people living vicariously through your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time flies doesn't it Reeder? You are creating memories that will last a lifetime, so keep soaking it all in!

    ReplyDelete