Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of School!

I have posted a lot lately, hopefully this one is short. Well I had my first day of school today....and it went really well! I did end up going by myself today, which was fine. I made it to the Tram and got on it without any other problems. I didn't talk to anyone on the tram becasue I was nervous. A big group of students got off at one stop, so I was worried that that was mine, but I decided to just stay on. I finally got to my stop and I followed some girl because I forgot how to get there. I think she was a little creeped out because she realized that I was following her. But I didn't know how to say what I wanted to tell her in German, so I just kept following her. I got to the school and I'm pretty sure every student and teacher were smoking. So I just went in, went to the secretary's office because it was open. Then she took me to the lady incharge of the 11th grade class, and she took me to where I needed to be. I only had to say like 2 words in German and they knew what I meant. So I just sat through the little introduction, and then my homeroom teacher called off our names. So I got up to follow her and they pulled me and another student aside. He had been an exchange student last year in the U.S. So we talked a little bit and he lived in Michigan! How weird is that?? I sat with him and a few other students who helped me fill out everything. I'm pretty sure that the students were mocking the teacher because everytime someone asked a question the class would laugh, and also no one knew what was going on. So everyone just went and saw the lady incharge of our grade after class which only lasted for about an hour. They had the former exchange student help me out, but he was new to the school too, so he had no clue what's going on. But it wasn't too bad, tomorrow is a full day, me and the one kid have like every class together, so we will be meeting new people together. I need to figure out the menu. They gave me a list and he couldn't even figure it out in English. But I'm sure everything will work out...

4 comments:

  1. Reed I am so enjoying reading your blog posts. You crack me up. Did that girl ever figure out that you were an exchange student or did she just think you were a creepy German guy? haha. Sounds like school is going to be a fun adventure for you. Keep writing, it's so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she never figured it out because when I went to the school I went in a different entrance, but then I ended going around. I think she is in my class though, but only 3 people know that I'm from the U.S. because I didn't talk to anyone yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reed, you must speak up!!! Just say Hi and tell them you are new and that you do not speak German very well but that you are learning! They will help you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right- put yourself out there. Especially Germans, they can think if you're not talking that you are being "stand offish" which is not the case at all! Just try and say basic things- in English too if that helps. The friends you make in your first days of school will help you so much, and you expereience the most of your exchange through them! Keep trying- you're going great!
    Machs gut!
    - Kate

    ReplyDelete